3. Innovation (Divergent thinking)
Key Adaptive Foresight Specialty Functions and Practice Communities
- Idea Generation – American Creativity Association (ACA). Since 1990. Creativity, problem solving, ideation theory, tools, methods. Runs an Annual Conference. Non-associated journals: Creativity Research Journal and Journal of Creative Behavior.
- Design – AIGA: The Professional Association for Design (AIGA). Since 1914. Advancing product, service, and environmental design. Annual Design Competitions, Chapters, Student Groups, Professional Dev. Non-associated magazine: Wallpaper
- Innovation Mgmt/R&D – International Society of Professional Innovation Mgmt (ISPIM). Since 1983. R&D leaders, industrialists, institutions, and consultants in innovation mgmt. Runs Regional ISPIM Conferences. Publishes Internat’l Journal of Innovation Management.
- Entrepreneurship – Founder Institute (FI). Since 2009. Teaching founders to do internal or external startups. Also Lean Startup Circles. Since 2009. Communities to implement Eric Ries’ Lean Startup
Other Innovation-Associated Organizational Functions
Ideation Platforms, User Experience (UX), Development, Prototyping
Innovation-Associated Practitioner Methods
Collective inquiry into past or current best events, practices in a group, to better imagine what could be.
Uncritical group idea generation (“quantity over quality”), usually followed later by critical methods.
Imagining achievable positive outcomes in detail, and strategies and actions that will help them occur.
Cross Impact Analysis
Creation of a matrix of future-relevant variables, exploration of how the variables may affect each other.
Innovation methods designers use to improve user empathy, design creativity, and problem-solution fit.
Typically 15 or fewer subject matter experts tasked to generate ideas, analyze options, or give feedback.
Graphical mapping of direct and indirect consequences of a particular process, change or event.
Ideation Management Platforms
Software platforms designed to elicit, compare, and refine actionable ideas in a variety of categories.
Six thinking modes helpful to facilitate group & individ. idea generation and critique (Edward De Bono).
User Experience Design
Innovations and experiments to improve usability, ease, and enjoyment of the product by customers.
Ethnographic foresight practice framework that shifts focus from the drivers to the impacts of change.